May 27 – June 5: I am going to interact with the developers about the better choices (if any ).
June 6 – June 9 :Get to understand the codebase of Font Forge scripting extension, make some scripts to get a feel as to how it works.
What was done–> I read the GPOS and GSUB methods and tried to understand what they actually mean, and ensured whether, they affect the beauty of the font. I concluded that since they are mere, methods for constructs, I could not comment on how the font would look by merely looking at these tables alone.
June 13 – June 17: Research on the sets of pangrams for the scripts.
What was done–> Upon researching I got these basic panagrams, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/chithakar/Nkec6GZEZ1k/-rjRz6lJA4QJ, although these contain only the basic chracters and constructs.
June 18 – June 24 :I would be making the first protoype of the script, including the methods for, basic properties like weight, height etc. of the script in my class .
What was done–> As stated earlier the GPOS methods were not of much help as far as extracting the data for making comparision went, so the only brute-force technique was bitmap comparision. So, i implemented my basic methods of the class responsible for bitmap comparision, using the PIL library.
July 8 – July 14 : Testing the class with the basic methods throroughly to avoid any crashes or bugs. See if the basic model of the script works as intended.
What was done–> Upon the advice of my mentor, I made a separate branch which used abstract replica of font or mockfont objects to perform the testing. The reasons for my choice was to make the user burden free of downloading the standard fonts as well,by using mockfonts I would be using only the set of standard characteristics, and the typeaces, and ignore, the GPOS/GUSB methods necessary for making the constructs, but unnecessary for doing the actual comparision.
What is being done–> Research is on for better panagrams, and as far as method goes, nothing much is to be done, as I again would be using bitmap comparision for achieving the same. Also I have decided to use the utlity hb-view provided with the harfbuzz font rendering engine, for the pupose of being able to compare standard docs and panagrams, which would cover the advanced discretionary tests. I have already made some progress with it, currently I am working on make it testable on travis.
deliverables: The script would be now capable of handling GPOS features and GSUB features for Mandatory Presentation forms.
My github repo, https://github.com/mjnovice/FontCompare .